- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Georgia (USA), 1993.
- Master of Arts, University of Georgia (USA), 1991.
- Vordiplom, Universität Bielefeld (Germany), 1989.
- Open University (The Netherlands): Professor of Entrepreneurial Finance and Banking - since 2015.
- Maastricht University (The Netherlands): Associate Professor - since 2000.
- Maastricht University (The Netherlands): Assistant Professor - 1996 to 2000.
- University of Stellenbosch Business School (South Africa): Professor Extraordinary - 2019 to 2021.
- University of Stellenbosch Business School (South Africa): Associate Professor Extraordinary - 2015 to 2018.
- Maastricht School of Management (The Netherlands): Associate Professor - 2001 to 2002.
- Maastricht School of Management (The Netherlands): Assistant Professor - 1993 to 2000.
- Karl Franzens Universität Graz (Austria): Visiting Professor - January 1996.
- University of Georgia (USA): Research Assistant - 1990 to 1993.
- Commerzbank AG (Germany): Bank Clerk - 1987 to 1988.
- Commerzbank AG (Germany): Apprentice - 1985 to 1987.
International Experience at the Following Universities and Organizations
- Karl Franzens Universität, Graz, Austria.
- Western University, Baku, Azerbaijan.
- State Economic Institute, Baku, Azerbaijan.
- International University, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Hunan Economic Management College, Changsha, China.
- Hunan Securities Company, Changsha, China.
- Industrial Cadre Education Centre, Shenzhen, China.
- Haus der Technik, Essen, Germany.
- Foundation for Organisational Research and Education, Delhi, India.
- Trisakti University, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- International Maritime Transport Academy, Den Helder, The Netherlands.
- Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- RVB International, Singapore.
- Open Learning Systems, Singapore.
- University of Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- University of Georgia, USA.
- Member, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) Task Force on “The Internal Market for Retail Financial Services”, CEPS, Brussels, 2005 to 2007.
- Member, Forschungsnetzwerk “Geld und Kredit” (Research Network “Money and Credit”) – Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf, Germany, since 2005.
- Member, European Central Bank – Center of Financial Studies Research Network on “Capital Market and Financial Integration in Europe”, Frankfurt, Germany, 2002-2010.
- Consultant, European Credit Research Institute, Brussels, Belgium, 2001-2002.
- Short-term expert, European Union TACIS project “Strengthening Management Training Capabilities Azerbaijan”, Baku, Azerbaijan, 1996.
- Contributor, Sino-Dutch Management Training Project in Changsha, China, 1994.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Fellow of the Research Institute GSBE (formerly METEOR) of the Maastricht University.
- Research Fellow, European Centre for Corporate Engagement (ECCE), since 2012.
- Researcher, Institute for Global Business and Society (GLOBUS).
- Associate Editor, Applied Finance Letters, since 2016.
- Associate Editor, Finance Research Letters, since 2015.
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Review of Financial Analysis, since 2012.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Financial Economic Policy, since 2010.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia, November/December 2018.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of Stellenbosch Business School, Belville, South Africa, November/December 2011.
- Visiting Researcher at the Bocconi University, Department of Finance, Milan, Italy, June 2009.
- Visiting Researcher at the Ludwig-Maximilian Universität München, Department of Economics. Munich, Germany, February 2008.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of Oklahoma, Michael F. Price College of Business, Division of Finance. Norman, Oklahoma, USA, March 1998.
Honors & Grants
- Best Conference Paper Price, 3rd Geneva Summit on Sustainable Finance, 2016: Chalabi, J., N. Guenster and S. Kleimeier, Do Banks Really Care? Social Norms in Bank Lending.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald LiteratiNetwork, 2013.
- Grant, Universiteitsfonds Limburg (SWOL), 2013 and 2017.
- Grant, Maastricht University - GSBE (formerly METEOR), 1999, 2003, 2013 and 2017.
- Research fellowship, University of Stellenbosch Business School, 2011.
- Research grant, NWO-DFG Cooperation Program, 2010 to 2013.
- Research grant, European Credit Research Institute, 2000 and 2005.
- Research award, University of Georgia, 1991.
- Tuition waiver, University of Georgia, 1989 to 1993.
- Scholarship, German Academic Exchange Service, 1989 to 1990.